Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oh, the Joys of...Tempeh?

This afternoon when I took my usual writing break, I stopped by the local co-op for lunch. I ordered the Rockin' Reuben, which consists of a reuben made with tempeh rather than corned beef or whatever the hell that pink stuff is. I thought that I had eaten tempeh, but apparently I was wrong, as I was surprised when I actually got my sandwich.

According to Wikipedia, tempeh is "made by a natural culturing and controlled fermentation process that binds soybeans into a cake form." On my sandwich, the tempeh was baked and marinated. It looks like this before it's cooked:




Biting into cooked tempeh is only slightly softer than biting into a rice cake. Anywho, there's no real point to this post, with the exception of informing my readers about this food. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but if it's this or corned beef, I'll take the tempeh.

No comments: